• Today’s poor economy is at the root of many of Hawaii’s problems. To improve the
economy, we must lower taxes and provide job tax incentives. Eliminate the general
excise tax on food and drugs.
• We must attract new industry to Hawaii and provide a friendlier business climate. I
will concentrate on high tech industries, enhanced medical facilities for treating
people of the Pacific area, expanded University programs especially oceanography,
tropical horticulture and genetic studies. Hawaii should be the banking and finance
center of the Pacific.
• We must encourage and induce business and the tourist industry to provide a
Hawaiian “sense of place”. We must stimulate and supplement, if necessary,
diversified agriculture to retain the green, open beauty of our islands.
• Our education system must be improved through specialized schools, open
enrollment and improved physical condition of the buildings. The students, parents,
teachers and the community must be jointly involved to improve our education
• We must reduce the high cost of all insurance by opening the market to new carriers.
I will support legislation to change the laws that encourages our high insurance rates.
We must redefine our Workmen’s Comp laws. We must discontinue auto insurance
for welfare clients and instead issue them a bus pass. Free auto insurance is not a
• I believe in a woman’s right of choice. I believe each individual woman is
responsible and completely capable of determining the outcome of her pregnancy
and government does not belong in the bedroom.
• I believe in euthanasia. If a person wants to die with dignity and chooses not to
suffer or cause additional hardships on their loved ones, I believe they have the right
to terminate their life.
• I stand for full equality for all of our citizens and equal pay for women.
• I will freeze the state employment and through retirement and attrition, reduce the
payroll by 20%. I will send as many government contracts as possible out to
competitive bid, creating competition and lowering costs.
• I am also for animal rights. I think a lot of animals are being mistreated and abused. I
plan to introduce legislation that will provide for stiffer penalties for anyone
convicted of animal abuse.